Home/Please Don't Have Ulterior Motives in a Contract Romance/ch65


Episode 65


"Um, well, hmm..."

I couldn't find the words for a moment.

I wanted to throw back a risqué joke to fluster Cael.

But with his sharp, glinting eyes, he'd probably take any such joke seriously, so I couldn't provoke him.

Caught between a rock and a hard place, my face just kept turning red. Seeing that, Cael let out a laugh.

"Haha! Your expression is truly amusing, Rielle."

"Oh...!"


That's cheating.

Laughing so openly, showing such a boyish side.

"Could you please not tease me?"

"Do you see it as teasing?"

"No, well..."


Rustle—

Cael's long fingers rose into the air and touched my cheek.

I felt the warmth of his fingers as they gently pinched my cheek, making my body tense involuntarily.

He was just gently brushing away a strand of hair that had stuck to my cheek.

He tucked it behind my ear, and his hand slid down, smoothing my hair.

Without blinking, he held my gaze in his eyes, and as his fingers traced down to where my hair brushed against his lips, I squeezed my eyes shut.

I could feel the heat rushing to my head and face.

This man is a natural.

A genius of seduction.

He knows exactly what actions will captivate someone.

I wanted to pull my leg out from under him and move back right away.

"Heh. You don't have to be so scared."


Cael released the strand of hair he'd touched to his lips and smiled warmly.

At his action, I tried to act nonchalant but ended up confessing.

"I wasn't scared. I just... I'm not used to this sort of thing."

"You shouldn't be. You need to get used to it with me."

"Wow, are you really the Duke I used to know?"


I couldn't hold it in anymore and blurted out what I was really thinking.

Cael, knowing exactly what I meant, played dumb and asked back.

"What kind of person was I that you ask that?"

"Do you know what character collapse means? When we first met, Duke—"

"Cael."

"Ah, Cael. Do you know how scary you were back then?"

"Was I scary?"


Blinking his eyes with an innocent 'I don't know what you mean' expression, I couldn't help but make a sour face.

It was absurd that he was pretending to be innocent, and just as absurd that he genuinely didn't seem to know himself.

I recalled the first time I saw him in that prison and explained.

"Your eyes were so fierce. You radiated such a cold, chilling aura, I was terrified I'd say the wrong thing and get my head cut off by that sword at your waist."

"And yet you still said everything you needed to say."

"Wouldn't it be worse to die unjustly without saying anything? If I'm going to die, I'd rather speak my mind."

"Indeed."

"I worked so hard with Allen to get closer to you after coming to the mansion."


Yes. At first, I really thought he was the final boss from a romance fantasy novel. I was terrified, constantly watching his reactions.

Slowly, his fierce expression softened into a blank one, and that intimidating feeling faded—which was a relief.

But there were times I couldn't sleep, wondering if his every word and action carried some hidden meaning.

Listening to me, Cael curled one corner of his mouth into a crooked smile.

"At first, I did wonder if I should kill you."

"!"


So I really could have died.

Hearing that I could have actually been killed made my heart sink.

As my face paled, Cael looked up at me, chuckled, and spoke.

"I'm really glad I didn't."

"Oh... well... thank you?"

"I have one question."

"Yes?"


Swish—

Cael slowly sat up.

As he turned his back to me, I noticed the ribbon tying his hair up.

It was the one I'd made and given him.

Just as I was about to happily mention the ribbon, Cael suddenly turned his head.

His gentle expression changed in an instant, and he looked at me with the same sharp eyes as when we first met.

No—his gaze was directed behind me.


And then it happened.

Whoosh—

Clang!


Cael, who had somehow drawn his sword, deflected something with a sharp sound, and with his other hand, he grabbed the back of my head and pulled me into his chest.

"Huh?!"


Startled, my face was pressed against his chest, but then I heard the sharp sound of something cutting through the air and realized something was wrong.

Swish— swish—

Clang! Clang!


I saw arrows, sliced in half by Cael's sword, falling around us.

Arrows!?

Realizing someone was trying to kill us, I trembled with fear, clutching the fabric of Cael's shirt.

"Don't worry."

Cael reassured me, releasing my head and wrapping his arm around my back.

I held my breath, making sure not to move and hinder his sword swings.

Swish— swish—!

Clang! Clang!


"Arrows!"

"Eek!"

"Ahhh!"


The arrows, at first only one or two, gradually increased, flying toward other boats nearby. The area descended into chaos with screams.

Terrified by the screams and the sound of arrows being deflected above my head, I broke out in a cold sweat.

All I could do was stay in Cael's arms and pray I wouldn't get hit.

But a thought struck me—would praying really change anything?

Maybe it was better to keep my eyes open and at least warn Cael of incoming arrows. I opened my eyes and looked over his shoulder.

In that moment, I saw an arrow flying quickly toward Cael's back.

"Cael, behind you!"

"...Tch!"


At my words, Cael let out a low grunt.

Turning around, I saw five or six arrows flying toward me, simultaneous with the ones aimed at his back.

It was a situation where he'd have to choose one to block.

Arrows were coming from both sides, and the ones aimed at me were even more numerous.

Bracing myself for the impact, I gritted my teeth—then heard the sound of arrows deflected by a sword behind me.

I realized he'd chosen to protect me instead of himself.

Seeing the arrows heading toward Cael's back, I screamed in despair.

"No!!"


I squeezed my eyes shut.

I just couldn't bear to see Cael get hit.

But time passed, and I didn't hear Cael groan.

Instead, I heard a resonant sound and something bouncing off a wall. Puzzled, I opened my eyes.

"Huh?"

"...What's this?"


A large, blue-glowing sphere surrounded us.

Whoosh—

Thunk— thunk— thunk—


The arrows still flying toward us were blocked by the blue sphere, bouncing off and falling into the lake.

Stepping back from Cael's embrace, I stared in astonishment.

Cael, too, seemed not to have done it—he looked at the barrier above his head, then down at me.

"Are you hurt?"

I asked worriedly. He shook his head and asked.

"No. Did you create this barrier?"

"No, not me... huh?"


Shaking my head at Cael's question, I noticed a light shining from behind him.

"Cael, there's a glow from behind you—the same color as the barrier."

"Pardon?"

"Just turn your head for a moment."


Outside the barrier, arrows still flew and screams continued.

But the arrows aimed at us were deflected by the barrier, so we were safe.

When he turned slightly, I could see what was glowing.

"The ribbon... it's glowing..."


The ribbon I'd given him was emitting a blue light.


Comments