Home/The villainess's personal maid is very good at her job/ch 53
Episode 53
"I-I'm so sorry, handmaiden. I tried to stop him, but……"
"It's alright. Please leave."
"Yes, handmaiden."
After sending out the startled, teary-eyed maid, Janet turned around.
The uninvited, unknown guest had already taken a seat with an air of authority.
'Who on earth is he?'
Janet wasn't the only one flustered.
"This is terribly rude."
"Indeed. Interrupting family time with our daughter like this."
The angry Viscount and Viscountess spoke one after the other.
Instead of answering, the man leaned sideways against the sofa's armrest.
"Family time? How ridiculous."
"What……!"
"What kind of parents say such nonsense to their daughter? A child is someone you'd never find pain in even if you put them in your eyes!"
Boom! His booming voice carried immense force. Overwhelmed by the sudden shift in atmosphere, the Viscount and his wife clamped their mouths shut.
"Excuse me."
"Huh? Why are you calling me, Janet?"
The man, who had been fierce just moments ago, answered with a bright smile at Janet's call.
'What's with this temperature difference?'
Whatever the case, she had a feeling he wasn't someone who would be her enemy.
"May I ask who you are?"
"Ah, my apologies. I'm late introducing myself. My name is Liam Ortega."
Liam Ortega—that meant……
"The Marchioness?"
"Haha! None of that formal 'Marchioness' stuff! Just call me Uncle, Janet."
---
With the Marchioness's sudden appearance, the Grahams fled as if escaping.
"Expect a letter—make sure you reply."
Leaving behind a threat-like parting remark.
"Thank you for your help, Marchioness."
"Eh, I told you—call me Uncle."
At Liam's words, Janet smiled awkwardly.
No matter how she looked at it, how could she address such a high-ranking noble as 'Uncle'?
But the Marchioness's expression seemed so sincere that she couldn't outright refuse.
"I'll…… do that later. When I'm more comfortable."
"Hm. Alright. I suppose pushing too hard might seem like harassment."
"So, what brings you here?"
"I came to see you, of course."
"To see me?"
"I'm the one who wrote your recommendation letter—I was curious how you were doing. But then."
Tsk. Glancing at the door with a displeased expression, the Marchioness shook his head.
"I never expected to witness such a scene."
"……You saw something unpleasant. I'm sorry."
"What? What do you have to apologize for? Anyone could see you were the victim."
Clicking his tongue in indignation, Liam paused. Seeing Janet's bitter expression, he asked in a restless tone.
"Did I go too far? If you consider those people family and care about them……"
"No! That's absolutely not the case."
At the quick, firm answer, Liam sighed in relief.
For some reason, from the moment he met Janet, he didn't want to be disliked.
His heart just ached for her.
'Maybe it's because I overheard her conversation with the Viscount and his wife?'
He'd already known about her home situation. As the Guild Master of Illinia, and since Kendrick had contracted with her, it was only natural to know.
Until then, he'd just thought of her as a somewhat pitiful child.
"……I believe you said you were eighteen?"
"Not yet—I'm seventeen. My birthday hasn't passed. Though it will soon."
"When is your birthday?"
"August."
"Hm. That is soon."
There were still about two months left, but time always passed in a flash.
"Right. Eighteen……"
The Marchioness murmured as if lost in thought.
A face came to mind—a child who would have been Janet's age.
Ahem.
Swallowing the rising sadness, Liam cleared his throat.
"By the way, have we met somewhere before?"
"Pardon?"
"I feel like your face is somehow familiar."
At Liam's question, Janet racked her brain.
But no matter how she thought about it, this was her first time meeting the Marchioness.
She had met his son, Richard Ortega, but……
"No, I think this is our first meeting."
"Is that so? Hmm. How strange……"
Watching him tilt his head repeatedly, Janet carefully added.
"Perhaps I just don't remember. As you may know, I have no memories from before age fifteen."
"Ah, right. I did hear that."
He'd expected as much.
'The Marchioness seems to be connected to Illinia too.'
When she'd once asked, "Is the Marchioness also part of Illinia?" Theo had evaded the question, but Janet knew it meant yes.
She simply assumed that for whatever reason, the Marchioness's connection to Illinia had to remain a secret, and kept her mouth shut.
"I believe you were a victim caught up in the Ashleyad War?"
"Probably. Actually, I don't even remember that……"
"War is truly terrible. Ken-, ahem. That rascal Theo also suffered terribly from its aftermath."
"……Theo too? Was Theo also a war victim?"
"Hm? Wait. Didn't Theo tell you?"
"No."
Oh, dear.
Realizing his slip, Liam smiled awkwardly and shook his head.
"Just pretend you didn't hear that. Theo would give me an earful if he found out."
At his playful plea, Janet let out a small laugh.
"Yes. I will."
Compared to the time spent with the Grahams—her legal family—the Marchioness, whom she'd met for the first time today, felt dozens of times more comfortable.
"Miss Janet."
"Yes, Marchioness."
"You can think of me as your guardian from now on."
"Pardon? What do you mean……"
"Exactly what I said. Externally, I'm already someone like a patron to you, aren't I?"
That was true.
She'd written the recommendation letter and sent gifts.
It wouldn't be strange if people saw the Marchioness as Janet's patron.
In fact, it wasn't unusual for wealthy nobles to sponsor young nobles like their own children.
"After meeting you today, I really took a liking to you. I truly want to become your guardian and patron. What do you think?"
"Well……"
Janet was at a loss for words.
She didn't know how to answer. Such a wonderful person offering to be her guardian and patron.
It was overwhelming and grateful just to think about, but……
'……Is it really okay?'
Since entering Ludwig, she'd made friends among adults, but this was the first time one had offered to be her 'guardian.'
In a way, it was a relationship similar to family.
Janet had never had that, so she couldn't easily say "Yes."
At Janet's hesitation, Liam's eyebrows drooped.
"I'm not forcing you. And I have absolutely no ulterior motives. I truly feel like you're like my own child, so if you don't want to, you can refuse—"
"No. It's not that I don't want to!"
"Oh! Really?! Then from now on, whenever you need a guardian, call me. Not those family-like people."
Perking up immediately, he rattled on—Janet blinked.
Hadn't he been so sullen just a moment ago?
She felt a little tricked, but at the same time, she thought—so what if she was?
"You've already met my son, right? Richard."
"Yes. I've met him."
"Just think of him as your older brother and treat him comfortably! If anyone bothers you at the Academy, tell Richard. Got it, Miss Janet?"
Janet briefly imagined calling Richard 'brother.'
It would certainly be better than calling Simon 'brother,' but……
'Still, that's a bit……'
Haha. Seeing Janet laugh awkwardly and avoid the situation again, Liam laughed even louder.
---
Chapter. An Eye for an Eye
When good and bad things happen together, why does the bad always weigh heavier on the mind?
The day the Grahams and the Marchioness of Ortega had come and gone—
Janet had a strange nightmare.
The sudden visit from the Grahams must have left its mark as stress.
Comments
Post a Comment