Home/The Seven-Year-Old Village Chief of Exile/ch 74


Chapter 74


---


I sniffled.


'Thank goodness...'


The villagers embraced their reunited loved ones, repeating tearful words of relief instead of the greetings they hadn't been able to share.


Everyone had feared rejection.


But contrary to expectations, their families and acquaintances had believed in their innocence to the end, and had even attempted a revolution.


'Good people attract good people.'


I recalled the day I'd worried that the villagers might leave to find their families and friends.


'How childish and selfish I was.'


Seeing this scene now, I felt that guilt fading somewhat.


"Poppy, Chuchu."


At my call, the Chihuahuas ran over quickly.


I hugged the dogs I hadn't seen for two days tightly.


"I'm back. Have you two been doing well?"


"Woof!"


"Woof woof!"


"Haha, that tickles!"


Holding the dogs as they eagerly licked my face, I headed to the village hall.


To not disturb the residents' tearful reunions.


"Libby unnie."


Because I had something to tell the remaining people.


For the record, currently at the table were me, Ian, Libby, and Verity.


I put the dogs under the table and spoke.


"I met your brother."


"What?"


"Ran into him by chance at the lab. He looks just like you."


"......"


"He looked healthy. And it seemed like he worries about you a lot."


The last part wasn't a lie.


When Uncle Modi was talking to Prellia on the phone.


"Calm down, Uncle! And Pre-Pre was real? I thought it was just your delusion...!"


Olive had clearly reacted to Libby's voice that slipped through.


Though he never asked about Libby's well-being in the end, Olive hadn't forgotten his sister. The longing I glimpsed in his wavering eyes was genuine.


"Yeah, Olive..."


Libby let out a shaky breath.


Then she asked bluntly.


"That bastard's got a nasty temper, doesn't he?"


"......"


"......"


"......"


Me, Ian, and Verity short-circuited for a moment.


None of us answered.


Partly because Libby's question was hard to answer, but also because we couldn't bring ourselves to lie and say, "Hey, your brother's got a great personality."


"Sigh."


Libby relaxed her shoulders, as if she'd expected it.


Ian quickly added an excuse.


"Don't misunderstand? Your brother was a decent guy."


"Sir Ian is right. We even received help from your brother at the lab, and we could see his pious altruism."


Verity quickly added to Ian's excuse.


"That's enough. You don't have to try so hard to sugarcoat it."


"Don't you want to see your brother, Unnie?"


Libby immediately retorted.


"It's not that I don't want to. Not at all. He's my only family."


"Then why..."


"Even if he's family, I have to be objective."


I recalled Libby's attitude that had always bothered me.


On the day she learned about her 'Archmage Blessed by a Demon' aptitude, Libby had made a fuss about not being able to see her brother.


'Even when she found out he'd become an Inquisitor, she was sad that they couldn't meet...'


I'd thought she was avoiding him to not hinder his future as a successful holy knight, but it seemed her desire for physical distance from her brother had been the real reason.


'I can kind of understand, though.'


That stubborn guy.


His persistent, pushy nature at sixteen was quite exhausting.


As I looked at Libby with mixed feelings, she brushed her hair behind her ear and said outright.


"As you all know, I'm pretty, right?"


A cold silence fell.


Libby asked again, her voice slightly lowered.


"Why is no one answering?"


"Why waste breath saying something so obvious?"


I answered naturally and quickly signaled Ian and Verity.


"...Ahem, well, as Habi said, we all know you're pretty."


"I just stayed silent because I thought we were continuing the conversation about your brother. Objectively speaking, Libby-nim is a fine person."


The three of us successfully protected the feelings of the household's power.


Satisfied, Libby continued the interrupted conversation.


"Anyway, there were always a lot of people who hit on me. Olive always stayed by my side, worried about me."


"A fine younger brother, indeed."


Verity smiled warmly.


Libby also seemed pleased with the praise of her brother.


"Hmm..."


But then her pretty face twisted in disgust.


"Except his worry went too far and became the problem."


Libby's testimony was shocking.


"He'd lock me in the house so I wouldn't get harassed at work, he'd pick fights with anyone who even asked for directions, he'd throw away all my shoes saying he'd earn money for me so I shouldn't worry..."


Gasp!


I was horrified.


'He's a misery sister-con!'


I thought he was just a devoutly stubborn believer, but he was actually insane—in desperate need of professional help!


I wasn't the only one reacting like this.


"Wow, well..."


"Tsk, tsk, what a world..."


Ian and Verity were also shocked.


"Unnie..."


I held Libby's hand tightly.


"That guy threatened to take me to the central headquarters."


"He thought Habi was a saintess."


"What? Aunt Daliss is the saintess."


"He wouldn't listen to a word I said. Even when I cried and said I didn't want to go, he tried to force me."


"I won't curse since he's Libby-nim's brother, but honestly, I knew from the moment I saw him—his face screamed stubbornness...!"


---


Meanwhile, back at the mountain villa.


Olive's resolve grew stronger after being suddenly transported to the Antema Lab.


'Lady Clavis is indeed a saintess.'


The barrier that protected the victims.


The battle scars left in the cavern on the third basement level.


And the spatial transportation he had just experienced.


'Such miracles could never be achieved with ordinary magic. Especially spatial transportation—it is the sole domain of the divine.'


Olive's misunderstanding grew even more entrenched. He even came up with his own reason why Hebenia had been decreed a saintess.


'At such a young age, she was sentenced to exile by association, and she showed selfless devotion by protecting the wrongly accused prisoners in the monster-infested primeval forest.'


She was the very embodiment of a saintess, a symbol of self-sacrifice.


'Just like my sister...'


Olive squeezed his eyes shut.


His sister, who had acted as his guardian in place of their deceased parents.


His sister, who worked hard and didn't shy away from menial tasks for her brother, only two years younger.


A noble and beautiful person, like a saintess.


'Sister, please wait a little longer.'


Olive still couldn't meet his beloved sister.


'After I personally punish the demons who framed you, and after I drain their blood and skin them alive to make them pay for their sins.'


After that, I will build a comfortable paradise where my sister can live happily forever.


Where your delicate hands no longer get chapped.


Where your small, pretty toes no longer get scarred or blistered.


I will give you a happy life, lying in a warm bed, free from all the world's worries and cares.


'Sister, stay with me forever.'


As his pious prayer ended.


"Inquisitor, we have arrived."


Olive's carriage stopped.


After a grueling two-and-a-half-day train journey, followed by another hour by carriage, he arrived in the west.


The headquarters of the state religion.


The central headquarters.


The massive ancient temple itself held scholarly, cultural, and artistic value.


Olive entered.


The priests who recognized him bowed respectfully, and the pilgrims bowed and made the sign of the cross.


He felt a strangely excited energy from them.


'The archangel's descent still has a great impact.'


Olive briefly bowed in return.


Knock, knock.


He arrived at the Holy King's Palace.


The residence of the Holy King, the highest priest of the central headquarters and the symbol of the state religion.


"Your Holiness."


A benevolent voice bade him enter.


Olive habitually made the sign of the cross and went in.


The office of the most honored Holy King in the Church was truly modest.


A single bookshelf filled with old, thick books.


And an old walnut desk.


"Inquisitor Olive."


An elderly man, hands clasped behind his back, stood by the sunlit window, and spoke.


His calm voice naturally relaxed the listener.


"You have worked hard."


"Thanks to Your Holiness's concern, I have returned safely."


"I received your report earlier. About the victims."


"There were six survivors. As for the bodies..."


Olive calmly reported his investigation of the Antema Lab.


The Holy King listened silently.


The undead experiments, the kidnapped victims, the people who died in the experiments.


And the traces of demon summoning.


Even the acquisition of a relic suspected to have been used by a demon.


As the report went on, the Holy King's expression darkened.


Olive bowed his head in apology.


"I apologize. I failed to fulfill your orders completely. The ones I was supposed to bring..."


"No."


The Holy King approached and lifted Olive's bowed head.


"You have returned safely, and you rescued the victims. As expected, the successive angelic descents had such a noble purpose."


"And Your Holiness, I encountered the Chief Chamberlain at the lab."


"The Emperor's involvement is now certain."


"He said the Crown Princess has recovered."


"Then the herb distribution should return to normal soon."


But no one could easily say it was a relief.


The central headquarters had already investigated the damage coming in from all regions.


Though there were no deaths, tragedies continued to occur where minor conditions worsened into severe ones due to the herb supply problem.


Just then.


"Your Holiness."


Inquisitor Olive said solemnly.


"I have found the saintess."


"Pardon?"


The Holy King's eyes widened in disbelief, then soon broke into a bright smile.


"Wh-where did you find her? Oh my, what a blessing! The archangel's command to bring her must have meant the saintess! How old is she? Then we must bring her parents and family here to live comfortably..."


"She is Lady Clavis."


"......"


The Holy King's expression hardened instantly.


"Wh-what did you say...?"


"Lady Clavis is alive."


"......"


"She is the saintess."


Comments