Home/How to Survive in a Good Small Guild/ch 94


Chapter 94


9. Possession story special: original story destroyed


'I'm supposed to have the High Priest ceremony this week.'


I felt I'd gotten too involved with the Temple, but I couldn't back out now.


Especially since I'd learned that my possession itself was connected to the High Priest's 'Miracle.'


'Could I possibly return to my original world?'


A thought crept up from a corner of my mind.


If given the chance, would it be right to go back?


...But I'd already achieved so much in this world.


Without realizing it, I'd given too much of my heart to this world, so returning didn't feel right. In my original world, I was just an ordinary office worker, but here I was a Guild Master with connections to powerful people...


'I shouldn't be so greedy.'


As I was agonizing over my promotion to High Priest and my possession, Susanna spoke up.


"Guild Master, the client who made an appointment is here."


"Ah, thank you."


"Don't mention it! We'll go have lunch now!"


Behind Susanna, I saw the Lady of Kaliad peeking in awkwardly.


"Hello, Ms. Lavendel...!"


"Lady!"


The Lady of Kaliad had scheduled to visit during lunch. I was curious about how she was doing and wanted to know how the original story's second act was progressing, so I welcomed her gladly.


"Lady, what brings you here?"


"We're friends now, aren't we!"


"Haha, that's right. We're friends."


The Lady seemed to truly consider me a friend. Knowing her anxious personality, I greeted her as warmly as possible.


"Oh, may I call you Odrette? Of course, I haven't even made my social debut yet and I'm no social expert, but...!"


"I-it's not just social experts who can be friends... You can call me Odrette."


"Then please call me Lucia too!"


"Oh my, how could I..."


While demurring, I agreed to call her 'Lady Lucia.'


"Oh, I heard the news. You're having your debutante next month."


"Yes, I see you already knew! I'm so worried about it."


"Worried about what?"


When I probed, the low-self-esteem Lady Lucia, as expected, listed her unreasonable concerns.


"They say the social circle is full of exceptionally talented people, and my looks are only ordinarily beautiful..."


"You're extremely beautiful..."


"I'm only capable of defending academic theses..."


"That should be more than enough..."


"And I'm worried about my brothers too."


"Huh? Why?"


"They look like they'd cut down any man who approaches me in the social circle."


"Oh... that's definitely something to worry about. You should worry about that more."


As expected, romance fantasy brothers were a fictional concept. It was quite fascinating, but I nodded.


"Oh, I didn't just come to take up your lunchtime. How about we eat together? I've reserved a nice place nearby!"


"Sure!"


I didn't refuse a meal from the Lady and gladly followed her.


"Wow..."


Soon, we were seated at a splendid restaurant in the heart of the capital. At the best window seat in the center, looking out, I savored the expensive appetizers.


As I enjoyed mussels with cheese and plenty of olive oil, Lady Lucia spoke.


"There will probably be noble ladies in the social circle who want to tear me apart. Now that I've been revealed as the real daughter... some will doubt that the article was fabricated to fake the bloodline, some will worry about how my appearance will shift the balance, and there are families opposed to the House of Kaliad..."


"Hmm, but I don't think anyone would dare show open hostility toward you."


"But I'm worried they might scheme behind my back..."


"I see."


"So I was hoping you could help me, Odrette."


"Help you?"


What could I possibly do to help the perfect original heroine? When my eyes widened, Lady Lucia answered.


"I'd like to investigate the noble ladies who might oppose me in advance..."


"Strike before you are struck! That's our guild's motto!"


"I, I don't mean to strike them—just to prepare."


Lady Lucia looked flustered, so I felt a bit sheepish.


"And one more thing—I want to know about noble ladies connected to the Crown Prince."


"The Crown Prince?"


So the original heroine was also conscious of the male lead? Though the original story said she'd helped Cedrian out of pure goodwill, that couldn't be all there was to it.


She'd even saved a disguised Cedrian when he was in danger—so she must have had some feelings!


"You seem to be misunderstanding—it's not like that."


Lady Lucia quickly added, as if she'd noticed what I was thinking.


"I think the ladies who want to marry the Crown Prince will be the ones most likely to target me."


"Why do you think that?"


"Because there are people who assume I'll become engaged to the Crown Prince."


"Ah."


That made sense. I accepted the Lady's commission.


Would Lady Lucia suspect me if she knew I met Cedrian often? That I had feelings for him...


No, probably not. I was a commoner, so I wouldn't even be considered. I shouldn't overestimate myself.


After finishing my meal with Lady Lucia, I returned to the guild alone. The members, who'd already eaten during lunch, looked at me.


"You ate something expensive without us!"


"Assistant Manager Susanna, is that really what you're curious about? Yes, I did eat something expensive. It was a course meal."


"So mean!"


As I was lightly joking with Susanna, I felt Cedric's intense gaze beside me.


"Did the Lady of Kaliad commission you to prepare for her social debut?"


"How did you know?"


"That seemed like the only reason she'd make a private appointment with you in this situation."


"Your deduction skills are impressive."


Cedric, who'd initially seemed lacking in judgment when he'd joined our guild with a salary negotiation downward, had grown so much. I felt a strange sense of pride.


"Good. Since you know so much about nobles, Cedric, I'd like you to help me with this."


"What exactly do you need me to do?"


"I need you to find out which noble ladies are connected to the Crown Prince. Those who've had private meetings with him, or are being considered as marriage candidates."


"Excuse me?"


Why was he so surprised? Realizing his reaction was odd, Cedric added an explanation.


"I, I was just surprised because I didn't think we'd be investigating the Crown Prince."


"Ah, it's nothing. The Lady just worries that Crown Prince's marriage candidates might target her, so she commissioned this."


"I see."


Then Cedric glanced at me and said.


"But as far as I know, the Crown Prince hasn't been involved with any woman."


"How do you know?"


"My cousin, who works as a servant at the Crown Prince's Palace but doesn't communicate with me, said during a holiday gathering that the Crown Prince has no interest in women."


"Oh, but how much would a servant know? He's definitely hiding something."


"......"


Of course, it was true that the male lead hadn't given his heart to any woman, but there must have been candidates once considered for engagement.


"Alright, Cedric. Let's investigate together."


"Yes..."


Unlike usual, Cedric answered in a gloomy tone. Everyone has days they don't feel like working, so I didn't scold him.


Comments